SportAccord World Combat Games
The SportAccord World Combat Games is an international sporting event which promotes values of self-control, determination and technical mastery. The Martial Arts and Combat Sports integrate elements of culture, wisdom, and friendship to create an elite sports competition – the Art of Combat.
In 2010, the first edition of the World Combat Games took place in Beijing, gathering the world’s elite martial arts athletes together in one place for a spectacular experience. The opening ceremony featured martial arts heros onstage, such as Jackie Chan and Jet Li. Muaythai in particular won praise for its high spectator appeal, being one of the most successful sports in the games. Due to this great success, the second edition of the SportAccord World Combat Games will be organised. The event will take place from 18-26 October 2013 in Saint-Petersburg, Russia.
The upcoming 2013 World Combat Games are highly anticipated, and will take place in St. Petersburg, Russia. This year’s Muaythai World Championships under IFMA are an official test event for the 2013 WCG. Muaythai athletes and coaches will use the same venues, hotels, and transportation in St. Petersburg. It is an honour for Muaythai.
The WCG will feature 15 Martial Arts and Combat Sports: Aikido, Boxing, Fencing, Judo, Jujitsu, Karate, Kendo, Kickboxing, Muaythai, Sambo, Savate, Sumo, Taekwondo, Wrestling, Wushu.
Additionally, the Combat Games will feature a Cultural Program reflecting the ancient traditions of martial arts as well as the social and cultural values of the 15 sports and the event as a whole. Topics will deal with the cultural dimensions of the martial arts and their social value and contribution to society.
World Combat Games Core Elements
- 15 Martial Arts and Combat Sports
- Internationally-elite competitions with 1300 of the world’s best athletes
- World Anti-Doping Agency (WADA) Code compliant doping controls
- IF run and regulated competition equipment standards
- Timing, scoring and results technical services provided by Swatch Group
- Socio-cultural and educational programmes
- Doping-free sport and sports’ integrity awareness education
- Sustainability initiatives and reporting
- Festival-style sports presentation and entertainment
- Ambassador programme